What Causes Flat Tires?
There is nothing worse than hearing that dreaded sound of a flat tire. Flat tires are inevitable, but it’s important to know the main causes behind them to raise safety awareness. Here is a list of the most common causes of a flat tire:
- Road Hazards – The most common causes for punctured tires on the road, include hitting a pothole or driving over a sharp object, like a nail. Tiny objects can slowly cause the air to leak out of the tire, which is when you hear that wobbling sound.
- Valve Stem – Valve stem problems can cause tires to go flat. Air leaks develop as the result of corrosion or damage corrupting the seal between the wheel and the stem. Loose valve stems or uncapped stems clogged with dirt cause tires to lose air.
- Vandalism – Vandals cause flat tires by letting the air out of them. Although this is an inconvenience, it is a lot less costly than having to repair or replace a tire.
Changing a Flat Tire
Changing a flat tire is not as complicated as it seems, but it can be downright dangerous at night. You should never attempt to change a flat at night, unless you’re in a safe area. Here is a quick step-by-step process on how you can change your flat tire:
- Getting Started – The first thing you need to do is to jack up the car with the tire iron. You will then want to remove the flat tire, and replace it with the spare. Always make sure you are in a safe area when changing a flat tire.
- Changing The Tire – Raise the car with the jack until the flat tire is completely raised off the ground. Once this is done, remove the wheel lugs completely. Once the spare is hanging on the car, make sure to carefully screw each of the wheel lugs back on.
- Finishing Touches – Once the spare tire is securely on, carefully lower the jack. Pull the jack away from the vehicle, and you’re good to go!
We are experts when it comes to safely changing a flat tire at Emergency Towing. We work with a fantastic and reliable team of roadside technicians that are always on call. We are renowned throughout the San Francisco area for our courtesy, friendly attitude and reliability. You never have to worry about getting stuck with a flat anymore! Let our reliable technicians give you a hand!